My Family

My Family

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jesus is the Reason...


So with the coming of Christmas I have noticed this saying all over the place - on store front windows, on Christmas cards, on billboards, Social media sites - it is everywhere. 


Jesus is the Reason for the Season

I have to admit, when I see the words publicly displayed it warms my heart, but in all honesty, I wonder why these words only come out now, around this time of year. Obviously I am well aware of the WHY - because the birth of Christ is celebrated at Christmas. I understand Jesus is the reason for the season, but isn’t He the reason for everything? Why is everyday not about Him? Why can’t the saying be something like Jesus is the reason for you breathin’ or something like that? 

I attended The Christmas Train at Dry Gulch this year and rode the train around the story of Jesus’ life. I cry every time I witness it - especially the crucifixion and the resurrection. For some reason, this year, it had more of an impact on me. I watched as the people beat Him and hurt Him and thought ‘That’s me’ - I am responsible for every scratch He has on His body, I am responsible for the blood pouring from His wounds. For every time I have had those thoughts, said those words, done those things it is as if I were the one standing there whipping Him, beating Him, and making Him bleed. I listened as the people laughed and mocked Christ hanging on the cross and thought ‘That’s me too’ - every time I do something that I know I ought not be doing that is me mocking Him while He hangs there broken and bruised. I watched as he hung His head and heard Him crying out to God - His dad. I thought about all the times that God wants nothing more than for me to cry out to Him and instead I hang on to every hurt, every disappointment, every fear like I am hoarding them. As the train rounded the corner I saw the tomb where Jesus was laid to rest. I saw the light and smoke pouring from the entrance and the people lifting their hands in worship and praise. 


Luke 24:6 He is not here; he has risen!!! 

I was immediately filled with joy (and more tears), only this time they were different - this time they were cleansing, as if He were standing right there with me. And I realized He was...He always has been - even during the moments when I don’t realize it. He is here holding me up at this very moment in my life, He is here with me as I write this and as the tears stream down my face even more, He is ALWAYS here. He came back for me, as if I were the only person in the world, He came back for me. He took all of the pain, the beatings, the name calling, the mocking, the doubt - all of it for me. 


See, the sad part of this is I already know this - I have been taught numerous times that He died for me to set me free but to see it play out in front of me just brought such a realness to me that I can’t explain. Does this mean I will be perfect from this point forward? No - only one person in the entire existence of time has been perfect and that was Jesus. Does this mean that I am going to start going around and thumping people in the head with my Bible to get them to wake up? No - there is no way in the world that I could possibly force someone to see the reality of what this is. This just simply means that I have been reminded by a God who loves me what life is about - it is not about the  money in your account, the clothes in your closet, or the material possessions you own. It is about the love of a God, of a Savior, who went to the cross for me and did something no one else in my lifetime can ever do for me - He loves me enough to love me unconditionally, to die for me, and to set me free from everything. 

Merry Christmas to all of you! May the love of your Savior be the best gift you could ever receive.


2 Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!!

No comments:

Post a Comment